Friday, July 18, 2014

Phoenix - Nose Work



I started Phoenix about a month and a half ago on nose work. We haven't gone to any classes and I only read a little bit about how to train it. I did this completely on my own and it might be "wrong" but she definitely understands that she's supposed to find a specific scent. I began collecting plastic containers a while ago and ended up with some matching daisy sour cream containers. I cleaned them really well and cut some holes in the lids. The container with the active scent has the lid with the most holes.



To start, I put the scent in the container and let her sniff it. Click treat. I repeated this over and over until she was only sniffing the container. We did have some trouble with other behaviors popping up because I wanted to shape this and previously I had been shaping retrieves and playing 101 things to do with a box. So I didn't want her pouncing on the cup, or bringing it back. So it took a while for her to understand she was only supposed to smell it. Then I added more containers (one at a time) with no scent and started clicking her when she found the correct one.

Here's a video:


In the video I'm just starting to add the cue and then realized that "seek" sounds too much like "speak". So I will change it to something else.

5 comments:

  1. You and Phoenix sure do have to have patience for this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good job! I have never done this with my dogs but it looks like a fun way to keep them busy and their minds active. Looks like Phoenix is really getting the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for commenting!
All comments are being moderated for spam.
Thank you for understanding!