Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tasty Tuesday - Stuffed Kongs

How I stuff my kongs.




The way I stuff my kongs is very easy. I mostly just use wet dog food and kibble. I pack some kibble in first to cover the small hole then I add some wet dog food. Then more kibble and wet dog food until it's completely packed in well and I put them in ziploc bags and freeze. Right now they are loving the Merrick foods. My favorite Merrick wet food is the Turkey pot pie. It works really well for stuffing kongs.




There are a lot of recipes out there for stuffing kongs. The way I do it is what's easy for me. Here's another way to do it:



I don't generally give my dogs commercial dog treats, though and I prefer sticking with what is healthy. Occasionally they will get a high quality biscuit in there but not very often. You just have to find a recipe that works for you and your dogs.


I think kongs are awesome for keeping a dog's mind busy. I really recommend them if you have a very active dog who always needs something to do. There are also other puzzle toys you can buy for that as well. My dogs get kongs if I know I'm going to be busy and I can't do a training session or if I have to take one of my dogs away and leave the other one.




16 comments:

  1. Even just squishing in a tablespoon or so of peanut butter keeps them busy (and happy!) Just have to be careful of the mess, so maybe outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! The girls love peanut butter, too. They don't get it very often, though! :D

      Delete
  2. Yummmy I'm a cat and that looks good to me too. Wish I could get Mom to stuff some foodables n my toys!!
    Hugs madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they make puzzle toys for cats! My cats had one a while ago.

      Delete
  3. LOVE the KONG and best treat stuffer. Happy Tasty Tuesday. Golden Woofs

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love our treat filled KONG toys around our house too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kongs are a stable here, as are those IQ balls and Nina Ottoson puzzle toys. I really need to find Nola some more challenging things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girls love puzzle toys! We have a kong wobbler, a tug a jug and a wooden puzzle toy that they have to move the sliders to get treats. I am hoping Vince will make the puzzle toy everyone has been raving about, the one with the plastic bottles. :D

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hehehe - I kinda knew you'd catch that on your own. ;)

      Delete
  7. I have a question about how you clean the Kong afterwards? I remember having one that my last dog didn't really like and mostly just chewed up - but the cleaning it out was a real bear. What's your process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls usually get most of the stuff out but when they don't I soak them in hot soapy water and then flush them out with the stream. Sometimes I will put them in the dishwasher. I think you could probably buy a bottle brush and use that, too!

      Delete
  8. Katie uses soaked kibble to stuff her kongs and freezes them for her dogs. It's really an easy way to give them some entertainment and a tasty snack. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for commenting!
All comments are being moderated for spam.
Thank you for understanding!