NOTE: This happened BEFORE Phoenix hurt herself. :)
I took the girls to the river recently and we noticed a ton of dead fish! I'm not sure what kind of fish they are but they are spawning and sadly passing away. Before I noticed all the dead fish, I saw Zoe pawing at something in the water. They've retrieved sticks that have fallen underneath before so I figured she was attempting to get a sunken stick.
Then she stuck her head under.
She came out of the water with a fish! This little guy was still alive and not damaged so we put it back.
The very next day, Phoenix decided it was her turn to go fishing.
Sadly, this one was a bit further gone than the last one. We put it back, though!
I think it's really interesting that they were catching fish! Usually they prey on small furry things! Not fish! They were both very proud of themselves as they carried them around!
EDIT. I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT "SALMON POISONING in dogs" BEFORE I ALLOWED THIS TO HAPPEN. It's actually not safe for them to do this and I won't be allowing it again. The fish they caught were Smelt and generally those fish don't carry the parasite. My girls were not allowed to ingest the fish and are likely fine but I'm monitoring them closely. Salmon poisoning presents a lot like parvo. I would NEVER knowingly put my dogs in danger for a funny photo. Not in a million years.