Thursday, September 3, 2015

Phoenix's Ear Fiasco!

Shake it off!

Have you ever had one of those days where you wake up and everything sort of goes wrong? Tuesday was that day for me! I didn't sleep very well the night before and I was just very tired. So we get out to the park and the dogs are running around and very happy to be there and I'm sort of more awake than I was but I didn't have nearly enough caffeine on board.

So we get to the part of the trail with all the blackberries and the bunnies use them as their home. They are a great defense against predators because they are so pokey. Bunnies are so smart! The dogs immediately crawled through one of the bunny holes and went into the bushes. I called them out and it took them a while to figure out how to get back out and when they got out, Phoenix kept shaking off like she was wet.

I don't always chase bunnies, but when I do I hurt myself!

When I called her to me, her head and ears were covered in blood. In this photo, it's actually hard to tell but her right ear (left in the photo) is oozing blood. She cut the edge of her ear in the bushes. It was very freaky for me because I couldn't figure out where the blood was coming from at first! It's amazing how much one tiny boo boo can bleed! Darn dog ears!


After she was done shaking her head (and flinging blood drops everywhere) she seemed okay and it didn't seem to be bothering her too much. So I decided to finish our walk and just let her run.


It did throw her gait off a little bit, though! She's running sideways! Silly girl! 

When we got home I cleaned it out and she's doing okay. It took a long time to stop bleeding though! Phoenix has been having a lot of mis-adventures lately! I'm thinking I should really get her some pet insurance!

Has your dog done something silly like this before?  

There were some other very annoying things that happened to me personally on Tuesday, too! It was just not a good day for anyone! I'm so glad it's over!


17 comments:

  1. Glad she is ok! Do you think it's a bite from the bunnies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too! No, if the bunny had gotten her it would of been a dead bunny, unfortunately. I'm positive she cut it on the bushes. :)

      Delete
  2. Poor puppy! Dog ears are really sensitive too. I hope she's feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes for a good story, but those days sure are challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ears bleed like crazy. We've had the occasional ear injury and you would think we had been stabbed in a major artery with all the blood, but they also heal up real well too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! It's crazy! I couldn't believe how much blood there was! The boo boo was TINY!

      Delete
  5. I thought the caption for the second photo was very funny!

    I am glad she is okay - that would freak me out! Hopefully she has learned her lesson and won't go into the pokey bushes anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too! I doubt she learned her lesson, though! They are both bunny crazed!

      Delete
  6. I hope your week got better after that? I think I've learned not to freak out as much over bleeding ears because it doesn't take much to make them bleed. I learned the same thing when I nicked a nail once when trimming...all the blood made it look much worse than it was. Of course, it's easy to say that after the fact, plus things are worse when you're tired and not at your house either. Glad she's OK!
    Jan, Wag n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor girl! The ears bleed SO much. It's a major freak out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ears just bleed and bleed. In one training class years ago, a spring spaniel suddenly turned and snapped at K while we are all doing "stays". The dog bit right through K's ear, and the amount of blood was incredible. We ended up having to have it stitched because the bleeding wouldn't stop. I'm glad that you avoided that part!

    We all have days like your Tues. Also, the more fun you let your dogs have, the more potential for trouble (at least that's my conclusion). I take the trade-off because I want my dogs to be happy but I accept that more little accidents will happen due to the "fun"! You give your girls lots of fun so I'm not surprised by all the little boo-boos!

    I hope the rest of your week is going better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anything on the head seems to bleed more than usual. Luckily I haven't seen it with Laika but I still remember the time one of my friends in middle school hit me in the head with a rock - that cut bled like crazy and since I'm blonde it looked waaaaay worse than it should have. Silly kids. And silly rabbits for being so fun to chase.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tuesday was my day from hell this week too! I got bitten by a kid I work with (din't break the skin, but hurt like crazy!) Oh poor Phoenix! Glad the ear stopped bleeding and she really didn't look bothered by it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMD! How scary! I'm glad to hear she is ok!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so scary. The first thing I do when I see blood is panic. LOL

    I'm glad it wasn't anything too serious, I wonder if the blood might have dripped inside her ear and thrown her off?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for commenting!
All comments are being moderated for spam.
Thank you for understanding!