Friday, May 15, 2015

Hiking Lost Lake

Zoe & Phee pose at Lost Lake

Yesterday we drove two hours into Mt. Hood National Forest to go hiking at Lost Lake! Lost Lake has been on my to-do list since I saw a picture of my friend and her dog Graham there. It's a gorgeous spot and I decided I wanted to do it before the season started because it can get very busy, according to my research.


Zoe & Phoenix spotted a chipmunk

I think this was one of my most favorite hikes that I've done. The trails are very well maintained and a lot of it has wooden bridges above the marshes so your feet stay dry and mud free. There were a few muddy spots on the actual dirt part of the trail (it had been raining prior to our visit) but it wasn't too bad. The hike also had a couple of climbs but they were not very hard. There's actually another trail that goes off of the main one that climbs quite a bit if that's your thing! I'm not a big fan of huge climbs so I try to stick with the more easy-moderate trails. :) 



We let the girls go into the water for a few minutes. They were more interested in eating the grass than doing anything else, though! They were both a bit woozy from the car ride and winding roads.


There were some really nice Trilliums up there! I really like these flowers. They are so unique looking!


Some heavy clouds started rolling in and the temperature started dropping, too.


The forest is so pretty!


We played a couple of recall games on the bridge and then we had to put the camera away because it started pouring rain! Luckily we were almost to the end of the trail where it loops back to the parking lot as the rain started. We ended up doing about 4 miles.


I thought this hike was really fun and totally worth the drive. The scenery was beautiful and there was always something to look at. The only downside was the $8 parking/day use fee, especially since we got rained out and didn't get to stay very long. I thought that the fee was a bit high since we are used to paying $5 or nothing at all.

I would visit Lost Lake again. I thought the lake was pretty neat, the trails were awesome and I'd love to camp there sometime!


21 comments:

  1. What a beautiful park. I suppose the fee goes to maintaining the trail system. Too bad about the rain. That has been our weather too. The day starts out nice and then it clouds over and the temp drops or it rains. We have an outside show tomorrow and a hunt test Sunday. Rain predicted both days. Phooey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you wanted to do this trail. It was beautiful. The picture by the lake with the reflection is framing worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That look like a great place to hike - so pretty and lot of different things to do. Too bad about the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures! I'm a big fan of boardwalks that keep my feet from getting muddy--and my little diva dog is, too :) I'm totally with you on the paying for parking thing, though! All of the parks near us are free (except for the arboretum, but I'm a member so I pay once and then forget that other people have to stop and pay each time), so when we travel and have to pay to get in, it's a rude awakening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like fun - and so beautiful! Is it a state park? Can you buy a yearly pass? We can do that in AZ ($80 per year) and we get into our the state and local parks for free. We just make sure to use it a lot and work the price down till it averages about $2 a visit.

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a "forest pass" but I don't think Lost Lake is covered. :(

      Delete
  6. Wish we lived closer to some mountains and stuff, but we can't have it all. Pretty area! Be glad my mom wasn't along or you would have been lost in the rain for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The reflection in the lake that's in the first picture is so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! My husband groaned and sighed heavily when I put the dogs up on that boat to take the picture but it was totally worth it and it was my favorite, too! :D

      Delete
  8. Beautiful shots! I think I've been there just once. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what shots!

    sumskersandearlskers13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lost Lake sure looks beautiful. Before Delilah we used to take Sampson hiking all over our state, she makes it a bit difficult, which is why I try and get some alone time with him up in our little bit of woods. Some days when I can convince Hubby to join us, we venture a little further out. I think if I could change one thing, it would be to get him out more in the areas he loves so well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing! I love these photos....Now I just need to figure out a way to get the boys to the Pac North West and join you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's one of my absolute favorite places on Earth. I've been there tons of times, and it just gets more beautiful every time. I need to go again! Your photos have inspired me.

    Jean from Welcome to the Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that looks beautiful! We'd love to visit your part of the country someday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMD, those are just beautiful Photos!!!! Gurls, I Loves to see you run in the wilderness! I live vicariously through you..Ma would NEVER lets me off my string to go explorin'!!! Meanie. Okays, I GUESS I don't have very good recall, so she MIGHT have a point...whatevers....
    Kisses,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the picture of the girls on the water - such a nice clean shot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I lovvvvvvvve trilliums!!! They are just so gorgeous! Great photos as always!! xoxox
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to visit Oregon! It does look a lot like Southern BC. I also have a thing for boardwalks, there is something so calming about them to me. Are the girls going to swim this summer?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for commenting!
All comments are being moderated for spam.
Thank you for understanding!