Thursday, May 28, 2015

Trying to Focus on the Good


We've all had those days where things just don't go quite right. Where you roll out of bed and there's a dark cloud following you around and it's just not so great. I had one of those days yesterday! I woke up late and my husband and I had a miscommunication about me dropping him off at work. He thought I had decided to stay home so he was about to leave me here. I popped out of bed just in time to tell him to wait and then I had to rush and my brain was not fully awake by the time the girls and I hit the park.

I've complained in a few posts about how Phoenix suddenly discovered bunnies. Well actually, I've figured out that it's not the bunnies she's wanting. It's their poop. Even more pleasant. Yay. So we got to the park and I'm not awake yet and I let them off leash. They are happy and excited and they take off through the tall grass and chase each other with some zoomies. They come back to me and we start our walk. Zoe decided to poop, so I go to clean that up, stand back up and Phoenix is missing. The past couple of weeks the grass has grown pretty tall out there. All I can see is grass, blackberry bushes and the freeway which is pretty much right there. There's a fence but it's not a very good one.

So my sleep deprived and addled brain starts panicking and it was not pretty. Momma had a meltdown! I'm calling her and calling her but honestly, it was windy and there's freeway noise, I don't think she could hear me. So I take Zoe and we start to go in the direction I figured she went and I'm telling Zoe we have to find Phoenix. She starts scenting the ground and leads me into the bushes. She's not trained to search but I keep asking her "Where's Phoenix?? Find Phoenix!!" (We do play this game occasionally where we ask one dog where the other is, but I normally know exactly where they are!) This was the longest 8 minutes of my life. No joke. So I'm calling and calling and I see Phoenix pop out onto the trail where I would of been had I just gone about my usual route. I can see that she's looking for me (where she thought I was supposed to be) and as soon as she spotted me the recall was beautiful. 

I rewarded her for coming and instantly clipped the leash on. Dogs who disappear don't get to stay off leash. This whole new behavior that's happening is pretty annoying to be honest. I've never had a problem with her not staying close to me. She is generally the dog that is glued to my side, who will run up the trail and come right back to me. I'm just very puzzled by her new found independence and I don't like it. So I kept her on leash for about a mile and worked on some obedience training with her until we had passed where the bunnies live. After that, I let her off the leash and she came back every single time and was really good about checking in the rest of the walk.

Right before I let Phoenix off leash again, Zoe rolled in a dead creature. Perfect! Thanks, Zoe! Sigh... So much for a peaceful morning nature walk!

So I'm trying to focus on the good things that did happen instead of dwelling on the bad. I've come up with a list:
  1. Phoenix did come out of the bushes on her own, where I should have been had I been fully awake and able to think. She was right on track on our usual path the way we always go.
  2. Zoe, usually the naughty one, stayed with my while I was freaking out and she tried to help me find Phoenix. 
  3. Phoenix was very well behaved and appropriate with every dog she met the rest of the walk. (We met so many!!!) Major Win!
  4. There's a river to toss the dogs in when they roll in dead things. (They did get a full bath when they got home, too)
  5. We walked almost 7 miles! 
  6. Nobody broke into my car. (Random, I know but it happens and I'm glad it didn't)
  7. Jamba Juice makes everything better. (Seriously, it does)
  8. Zoe lost .5lbs and only has another pound to go before she's back where I want her to be.
  9. No one was run over. (Low probability but still a concern)
  10. At least now I know I can't let her off the leash in that area anymore. Good to know!
  11. Both dogs are absolutely exhausted from their adventures and they are cuddly.
Look Everyone! She does know how to "come"!

So I'm coming up with a new training plan to work on this crazy "disappearing into the blackberries" behavior because I don't like it and it can't happen again. For now I will be keeping her on leash and working on "focus on me" in that area of the park and I will be switching up our route. That way she doesn't know which trails we are taking so she can't just take off and figure out where I am later. I think switching it up will really help. We work on recall every single day so that won't be changing but I am going to brush her up on her leave-its. I will probably go back to using the hunting bells as well so that even if I can't see them I can hear them.

Even the most well trained, best dogs have bad days! We are all human and they are dogs. Sometimes they do dumb things. I think what's important is that we learn from our mistakes and theirs so that we can do better next time.


17 comments:

  1. Have you thought about teaching her to recall to a whistle? I mean a good training whistle not one you buy at the local store. It can't always carry if there is strong wind and the dog is out there like 100 or 200 yards, but it does work in most situations which is why we use it (along with ecollar) for our hunting dogs. Sometimes the dog cannot see you in high cover or sometimes they cannot hear you call, but a whistle stretches out the distance and is a good attention getter. The other thing you could do that may help you to know where your dog is is to fix a bell to her collar. Many people with pointing dogs that hunt high cover do that so that they know where their dog is when they cannot see it.

    Storm eats bunny poop too....lol. Must be tasty.

    Thanks for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whistle is a great idea! I've been considering getting one. :-) And when we go hiking I have little bells that I clip onto Dante and Ziva's collars with a small carabiner that I picked up at REI. It really helps when their sniffing around in brush.

      Delete
    2. Yep! I actually was thinking I need a loud whistle! We do have hunting bells already. They used to wear them all the time but the grass was short and they had been sticking pretty close so I stopped making them wear them. They are already in the car and ready to go for next time. :)

      Delete
    3. If you want to know the kind of whistle we use, let me know. We use a toot-toot-toot to recall but you can use whatever you want. It should be easy to teach your dogs. If you decide to go that direction, I hope you will share. :)

      Delete
  2. OMG I have been there and so know what you went through. Those moments when you don't know where they are are the worst! I'm glad you are turning this around and focusing on the good. I think as humans we sometimes get to the point where they are behaving so well, that we relax a bit and of course that is when they get us. :-)

    There is one area in our woods where Sampson likes to run ahead because he knows it is an entry point for people and their dogs. If I have him off-leash, I make him heel in that area, So far it seems to be working, it's just getting me to remember. :-)

    Thank you for joining the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree with you! She had been doing so well that I sort of loosened the reins a bit and I should of started working with her as soon as the behavior started showing up two weeks ago! Ignoring the problem only made it worse. I also think I would of been less freaked out had this happened at a different part of the park where there isn't a freeway. They always come back but the road right there made the panic totally worse.

      Delete
  3. I keep reminding myself that even the most disciplined police and guide dogs need constant training by professional trainers to remind them to do their jobs. And there are so many wondrous things in the world to smell and explore that it is hard for them to concentrate on what humans think is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, absolutely! We train all the time, too and even though we do they are still dogs.

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean about 8 long minutes. Wilson is bad about running off after deer and fox, and can be gone for several minutes. He always comes back to the spot he left from, but of course I had run myself ragged trying to catch up to him. Last time (back in January) he did this he ended up being gone THREE HOURS. I had the whole neighborhood looking! Thank goodness he was found safe and sound. He no longer has any off-leash privileges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, after 3 hours I would of been crying for sure! That must have been so scary! At least the neighborhood people were trying to help! The girls always come back, too.. Usually right away though. They like to run circles around me but they usually are right back to check on me. Phoenix has lost her off leash privileges in that area of the park, for sure.

      Delete
  5. Yeah, those days are tough. But they're a good reminder to be thankful for the better times. Grandma always said "The valleys are where you grow." Nonetheless, I hope today is better. And I've never been to a Jamba Juice. Now you got me thinking . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Me too! I agree with your Grandma! It was definitely a learning experience for me and at least she was looking for me up the trail where I would of been had I just kept walking. So she was sort of with me except I went the wrong way.

      Jamba Juice is awesome! My favorite drink is the Strawberries Wild. :D

      Delete
  6. What a morning! So nice that you can find the positives in the situation. 7 miles is a serious accomplishment first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I know that kind of terror! I'm sorry! That is not fun. :( I've only had Nola blow off one recall, but it scared the shit out of me. I hope you're having a better time now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of things learned but those 8 terrifying minutes will hopefully never be repeated.

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry you had to go through this! These types of things are always good reminders to not let our guards down, though, because as others have said, it is really easy to relax and get comfortable. It sounds like you've got great training goals to work through it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy do I know how you feel!!! ARRRRG!!!! And btw, my one husky has a huge thing with trying to eat bunny poop!!!!!!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for commenting!
All comments are being moderated for spam.
Thank you for understanding!