Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Reward Based Dog Training Really Works!

Zoe, recalling off hunting bunnies.

We've all heard that saying "the proof is in the pudding", right? Well it's really true. It's hard to believe someone about something unless you see the thing for yourself. Reward-based training really works and here are some photos to prove it.

The first photo is of Zoe. She's recalling off hunting the rabbits in the field. When I first got this dog, she could not recall off any prey. I honestly wish I had a video of the day the training really started to stick and of the conflicting reinforcers. Everything is about motivation and reinforcement. She was sitting at the fence watching the squirrels when I recalled her. She wanted to come to me, I could see how conflicted she really was and she also wanted those squirrels. In the end she did make the right choice. I'm really glad those days of conflict are over. She has learned that if she listens when I call her the chances are pretty high that I will release her back to what she was doing. (premack)

Happy Girl!

The thing I would like you to notice about these photos is that she's recalling happily. Sure, I could of strapped a shock collar to her neck and trained her that way and probably gotten similar results but I highly doubt she would be happy about it. That's the thing about forceful dog training, it's not fun for the dogs and it's also painful. (Anyone who tells you a shock collar doesn't hurt is lying. If it didn't hurt it wouldn't work.)

What Not To Do To Your Best Friend and Why - Kikopup

When you give the dogs a choice they are so much happier to do the thing for you and to keep doing the thing for you. I would much rather my dog recall with a big smile on her face than come back because she had no other choice. I feel that positive reinforcement is the best way to get really reliable behaviors because the dog wants to work with me and it's so much fun!

Phoenix poses with ducks!

You may have seen this photo from yesterday's post. Phoenix is posing with some ducks. No one is holding her leash. She could of turned around and eaten those ducks if she wanted to because they are only about 3 feet from her. She was not given her "leave it" cue, either. She's been reinforced so much for looking at the camera that ducks do not matter any more and she didn't need any cues. This dog has a lot of prey drive, she is no slouch! She doesn't care about the prey because she knows better stuff comes from me and I'm more fun than those ducks. I was so proud of her!

I'm pretty sure everyone has experienced moments of frustration and we are no different. I've had moments where I have wavered on using positive reinforcement and I've had moments of doubt but I am so happy that I've stuck with it. They are not perfect and sometimes they do make mistakes but it's okay and we've learned from each one. Training takes time and patients but it's definitely worth it!

Now it's your turn, tell me in the comments how you and your dogs have been impacted by positive reinforcement! What has your dog done to make your proud? 






19 comments:

  1. I love seeing your off-leash photos! They're solid proof. I'm working on this sort of thing with Cow, and with a simple whistle and cheese, I was able to make great strides with her in just a few days. That was my mantra for that time - whistle and cheese, whistle and cheese, every time she was barking at someone or trying to herd a car. While people think positive trainers depend on controlling the hell out our environment, it's not really possible for us because of our living situation - and yet she's already preferring to come to me even when her urges to chase are strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a safe place to work on Hailey's recall. Zoe is a champ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our recall has worked pretty well in the yard, but still if there is something out there, Mom has to come about half way to our location before we will give up on the critter and come running to her. She would never trust us off leash in an unfenced area, but for us it is fine just having pretty good recall in the yard. We know we get rewarded for coming to her and we choose to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And proud you should be, it shows your training is working. You can get your babies to behave and have good manners. We taught Little Bit so many things and we were proud of her too.

    Have a woof woof day you two. My best to your smart mom. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've yet to convince Ruby that anything I can give her is better than rabbits :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. :/ In order for premack to work, she has to be able to get the thing she wants (the rabbit). I know you don't have a safe area for her to be able to do that, though! I wish you did!

      Delete
  6. I'm with Lara Elizabeth. Fresh rabbit vs whatever treat I have in my pocket = fresh rabbit wins. ;) I don't have B off leash anyway (we have leash laws here that I follow, even if no one else does) because coyotes luring dogs away from their owners is a very real threat. I do allow B to stalk the bunnies, but she isn't allowed to pull me around to chase them or coyotes. It has taken a lot of work and even more patience and is still a work in progress but she has gotten a lot better at happily allowing herself to be redirected by my training and treats. I have given up on the notion that I will ever train B fast on any behavior. A lot the things that she knows solidly now have come about after at least a year of work. It's definitely a slower process than punishment - but the bond we have because I've taken the long road, is stronger. I can't say I've never tugged on her leash - because I have to keep her safe (a snake getting ready to strike is a good example of when her safety versus her overall comfort wins). But I agree that the rewards of positive training far outweigh the damage punishment based training can have on a dog/human relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing! Great job! I also don't blame you at all for jerking her out of harms way! In those instances that is not considered training in my book, that's preventing a disaster and you have to do what you have to do! Loose leash walking is still one of our hardest things that we are still working on!

      Delete
  7. Phoenix is amazing :)

    Our greatest victory is that Shyla and R will turn away from fleeing deer, no matter what. I don't even have to call them anymore - the deer themselves are the trigger for them to return to me.

    Our hardest thing is dead stuff, which Shyla still prefers over anything I can offer her but we're still working on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so amazing, KB! The deer are the one thing that drove both of my dogs to insanity when we lived with my inlaws. I wish I had more time to work on that! They are definitely more high value than the bunnies!

      Delete
  8. You have an amazing relationship with your dogs. Zoe looks very happy to be running back to you! It is amazing what you've been able to teach them to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing this! My greatest successes would be Nola and her nails (she went from foaming at the mouth, thrashing panic if her feet were so much as touched, to standing or laying calmly while I dremel them all), her recall (people are shocked a dachshund can do it), and her impressive impulse control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are amazing successes! Most dachshunds I've had to work on would bite and thrash for nails and it always made me so sad!

      Delete
  10. This is such a great post! I am always always arguing with people in my FB group who use shock collars. I mean, to each their own, but why not take the positive training approach and have everyone happy and willing to learn!?
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can really see the training working with Delilah. Now when we encounter a dog on our walks, she automatically looks to me for treats. It's awesome to see. The issue for me becomes her mouth. She's so grabby for those treats and then she dances and bounces in front of me, making it difficult to walk. LOL

    Sampson is still working on it, I can usually distract him, but it can become a bit of a hairy situation.

    Good job with your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mr. N held his stay while a squirrel ran by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love reading this! Your dogs look a lot like mine (what is their size, in height? Just out of curiousity)! Do you know what breed they might be? Mine is a Podenco, a spanish dog from a shelter. Very, very high prey drive, and independent character. I have been working on her recall since I got her, but I'm still a long way from where you are now! Using a long line, whistle and cheese bits, and any opportunity in a save area where she can be off leash, which is working very well... but any smell or actual sight of an animal and she loses her mind! A lot of work a head of me for sure :). Great work with your dogs! They look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura and thanks for stopping by! Your dog is so cute!! I definitely agree that our dogs do look similar! I actually think the girls do look a lot like podencos. We are not sure what they actually are, they were both adopted from the shelter here in Oregon. :) Zoe is about 18" and Phoenix is smaller at 17". They are right around 30lbs.

      It sounds like you are starting off right where I was when I first got Zoe! She would loose her mind over any small animal. It was frustrating at times but she's getting better! I've had her for 4.5 years now. :)

      Delete

Hi! Thank you for commenting!
All comments are being moderated for spam.
Thank you for understanding!